June 23rd, 2006

Server issues

Posted by complich8 in Site News

Well, the site’s back up. We had some somewhat unplanned downtime due to apache generating particularly huge (>50) system load.

Turns out we … well … still don’t know what the problem is, and it’s still there. I still think the disk is probably dying, but theplanet’s support staff insists that it’s fine, so we’re sort of stuck with it as it is.

We continue to look into other possible causes for the sudden and unusually high load, so the server may be intermittently unavailable. Please bear with our slow page load times as we try to track down this issue.

Update: see comment stream… apparently it’s actually the result of two pieces of spaghetti-code colliding :p

7 Responses to ' Server issues '

1. Kraco said,
    on June 23rd, 2006 at 12:03 pm

Gambatte, Complich8!

We have perfect trust in you, and especially your statistics. Although I don’t know how much statistics can help here, but they can’t hurt, either.

2. Aeon said,
    on June 23rd, 2006 at 12:15 pm

It’s a shame that it takes the forums being down for me to visit the main page.

3. Talon said,
    on June 23rd, 2006 at 4:46 pm

I actually know what the problem is. I have a friend whos site was also hosted by ThePlanet (was until this perticular incient) The problem was cased when a forign site (my site) contacted a database that was stored on my friends site (for the purpose of a mirrior in case anything happened to the server). It turns out that the array I used in the PHP file ended up generating WAY too many request which sent the servers overload from %10 to around 76% in a matter of miniutes the servers controlers thought something was up and they terminated the server and banned my friend from their hosting polocy. So that would be the reason your server was down. I thought I would make a formal appology as you guys lost some time (My bad). Next time I will test out my script on myself before I use it

on June 23rd, 2006 at 5:13 pm

huh … all I can say to that is … umm … lol? :cry::?:cry:

5. Mjkseven said,
    on June 24th, 2006 at 11:37 am

I always appreciate your hard work, AonE members! :mrgreen:

6. Kira Yamato said,
    on June 25th, 2006 at 6:13 am

I appreciate all the hard work that you guys do, and will always!!! Domo

7. BobDawg said,
    on July 18th, 2006 at 2:12 pm

It is rather strange but I seem to have a work around for your problem. It seems that access to gotwoot through the sub-domain of “www” doesn’t work any more but if you change all the urls to “http://gotwoot.net” then every thing seems to work fine. Make sure you change all the urls in the head section of your pages. because they are not relative links.

:cool:BobDawg