May 7th, 2006

Expect heavy delays on most projects.

Posted by Ciber in Anime

Earlier today TheWGP(Rizon IrCop) decided to delete most of the content of the AonE FTP in retaliation after we decided to deop him from #Animeone as he is no longer AonE staff.

You can expect delays on most of our projects, specially Naruto, since its entire folder on the ftp was wiped clean.

Needless to say, months of hard work have gone down the drain because of someone’s immaturity. We’re still waiting to see what actions Rizon management will take on this matter.

*UPDATE*

TheWGP has been fired/banned from Rizon by the Rizon management. We’re satisfied with this outcome and consider this issue closed.

We’d like to thank the Rizon management for their swift and appropriate action in this matter.

Now that that’s out of the way, we are now working on getting the projects back up to speed somehow.

73 Responses to ' Expect heavy delays on most projects. '

1. Anonymous said,
    on May 27th, 2006 at 12:24 pm

Although TheWGP is obviously immature (from what we’ve heard about him), it’s also your fault for having someone like that on the staff in the first place. Anyway, e-drama is fucking retarded. Especially when it correlates to fansubbing.

2. Sariachan said,
    on May 29th, 2006 at 5:05 am

It’s really sad when something like this happens, but why didn’t you baked up the most important files on a couple of hard disk, other than the ftp? O__o

Anyway don’t worry too much about Naruto, it’s still fillers unfortunately… I hope you’ll still sub the Kakashi Gaiden and the part two when they will air, though. ^^

Anyway, I think you should clrearly say if you’re going to continue your projects (and which ones)… I bet no one really cares about the delay (you’re doing this for free, after all 😉 ), but we fans care to know if you are still doing them for sure or not.

At any case you’ve my support, you’re on of my fav funsubbing team! 🙂

3. Anonymous said,
    on May 29th, 2006 at 12:01 pm

What a retard:roll:

4. DaYaMzTa said,
    on May 29th, 2006 at 3:23 pm

wow this sucks. I was wondering what had happened after about 4 missed AMG episodes. Not really a Naruto fan, but a sucker for AMG. I’ll be waitin for that next release! Hope you guys can get outta the slump and keep on subbing (specially since your the ONLY group subbing AMG currently):neutral:

5. Ahl said,
    on May 29th, 2006 at 3:56 pm

Well this is just dissapointing with all this talk about he did that, he is this, he chold be that/this, and that chold have been done, this could have been prevented and so on.

What has happened is tragic and fact is that it did happen and if it could have been prevented or forseen it whold have been done.

People will always have crapp happen to em, some will retaliate in impropper or rude ways, some will do nothing, some will try fix it somehow, and most of the time it turns out for the better.

And eaven the most capable people will sometimes follow the old saying that says “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me” (you let yourselfe be fooled the first time), simply putt it can also mean that if you don’t dare try trust/love someone becose your afraid of getting hurt then you will not be able to trust/love anyone ewer again, something that AMG has taught me.

So one thing i really love abouth fansubbers is their will to do something for others that most people whold think of as impossible to do, and one day i hope to be able to try fansubbing something that i like, so that other people can learn/experiance from what i have and mabe become better people in life.
    But first i have to learn the language and well after seeing my first 4 anime’s and learning abouth it’s history i had decided to learn Japanese and why chold i not, i have an better chanse of learning Japanese than my native/neibour language and i whold have an better chanse of earning an living based on Japanese speaking than if i learn an native language (really tragic to be honest but it’s the first desision in my entire life that i have not regreted).

Well what was i trying to say again?
    Ma Ma lets just let em be alone abit and have propper time to recower from all of this, they are most likely as uppsett abouth it as we are (if not eaven more so by an factor of x100 becose of what we people say to em), and if we let em do what they do better than us, they might not ondly get back upp to speed, they might eaven get better and faster at it than before.

6. SeanB said,
    on May 29th, 2006 at 6:52 pm

Hope you guys bounce back, like your subs a hell of alot more than DB :(. Sad part is I just found out abotu you guys and ended up liking you. Hope you get naruto back up soon :p

7. Anonymous said,
    on May 29th, 2006 at 9:47 pm

Why did he still have an ftp account? I mean, come on, removing @ on some random irc channel, but letting his read/write ftp access alive?

8. smash said,
    on May 31st, 2006 at 9:50 pm

suprise suprise, i told ya TheWGP was a lamer back in the day…
    he was one of the key people holding back the expansion of aone (you know who the rest of you are, and you can suck it)

i think i still have some accounts with full access for the gotwoot http://ftp... but i have no use for that shit =p

anyways have fun hanging on while ya slowly die 😀

9. Hmmm, who could it be ? said,
    on June 1st, 2006 at 2:51 pm

If what Smash says is true, then isn’t it time to have a bit of a work-around with everyone… maybe a bit of Spring Cleaning within the group would help this expansion if it ever does happen.

What i would like to know though… surely this FTP wasn’t the only file storage thing… everyone has a back-up, especially big groups like yourselves who have done 1500+ releases… It just doesn’t feel right that one person can delete absolutely everything.

I’ve only read a few comments here but i can certainly say that a little more feedback would be helpful.

Anyway, best of luck with restoring what you can and i hope you rise from the ashes and become a brilliant fansub group… you could go all the way to 2000 releases i bet 😉

P.S. Wow reading what i’ve said i don’t mean to be forceful, because i know absolutely nothing about the situation within your group and it’s none of my business, anyway goodluck with everything again, and with regard to Smash (who is the reason i replyed to this), again, i’m not telling you what to do, but you seem to know so much about the goings-on inside AonE, why don’t you go and lend your services to help them and not say crap like saying they’re going to ‘die’…

10. smash said,
    on June 1st, 2006 at 11:37 pm

lol, they dug their own grave, the dieing comment wasnt about shit getting deleted, its just that look at where aone is now, and where it was approx 1.5-2 years ago, theres 1/4 the amount of support there use to be… slowly dieing, especialy because of management, But now that them fools have been gone for awhile, maybe something can be restored (skeptical).

every now and then, someone from the past of aone’s prime lurks in and tries to help out, but as all ex-staff, they are more than likely just kicked to the curb and stripped… (i can understand the resentment of thewgp, but i am not agreeing with that what he did was right)

there are still some lamers uptop though, and the way its heading… thats what i meant by “slowly die”… trying to save something that cannot be saved (IMHO). Anyways i wouldnt want their services, and the way i left off about a year ago, they wouldnt want my help either 😈

on June 2nd, 2006 at 12:13 am

I tell ya, this is the fundamental problem with shared credentials.

One person leaves, you’ve got to change 15 passwords, and tell 30 other people those 15 new passwords. Nobody wants to do that, so it doesn’t happen, and bad things result.

As for the inevitibility of things … I’m going to disagree. It’s not inevitable, it’s just that it’s particularly tricky to avoid it.

12. banpei said,
    on June 6th, 2006 at 12:53 pm

forget naruto
    what about ah! my goddess 2?

13. Ahl said,
    on June 6th, 2006 at 2:39 pm

Well by the time you see this there is afew new Eps of AMG 2.
    YAY AMG and lots of it (was well worht the long wait)!

14. Anonymous said,
    on June 6th, 2006 at 6:27 pm

Forget about naruto, i heard that Dattebayo Is doing the naruto subs. their site is http://yhbt.mine.nu/ , but who really cares.
    i can’t wait for the next Ah! My Goddess to come out.

15. fallen_angel said,
    on June 7th, 2006 at 2:17 am

Say what you will about Dattebayo but they’re about 100 times more efficient than most of the other popular fansubbing groups on the net right now. The reason things happen with groups like this is, espacially with aone, is disorginisations and and group confussion. There’s a thousand ways to keep things running more efficiently and to keep things organised but you can’t even do that if you can’t keep a group working together. A chain is only as stong as it’s weakest link and there’s always alot of people not willing to pull their weights. Too many chiefs and not enough indians so to speak. Motivating a group like this and actually gettign things done efficiently isn’t easy and it’s even harder when half your staff spends their time not doing what they’re supposed to and stabbing each other in the backs every chance they get. Just a common disease amongs groups like this. My advice is a little staff house cleaning and looking for more efficient and secure means of backup and storage. It’s not impopssible. Ja-ne…

16. Vengar said,
    on June 7th, 2006 at 1:06 pm

lol. but complaining about this won’t help in anything man. Listen, maybe they aren’t perfect, and even they aren’t good, but they are doing this. Taking their free time to do something for anime fans, I really appricate it in that way.

It doesn’t matter what had happend. I hope that they will still keep working, and enjoying this hard work. I personaly don’t care about naruto at all, There are movies to the 183 with subs on internet, so for me they could stop working on naruto, and get more powers to the Ah! My goddess – heh I really like it, this man was really starnge, if he deleted it just for revange it means he is just idiot, nothing more, nothing less.

heh good job, keep on working on “Ah! My goddess!” ^^ beat the problems and stand up, this is what I wish for you.

17. deathrowotaku said,
    on June 7th, 2006 at 5:58 pm

Gahhhh Kill them! AonE I’ve been a huge fan ofyou since I gotmy first few subs of Naruto. So I know you guys will come back your too kickass to let it go.

Ah My Goddess season 2 episode 7—-Your mine one day you can run all you want I’m gonna watch you!

18. Anonymous said,
    on June 12th, 2006 at 11:08 am

I really like the fact people are giving AonE pointers, Telling them another Group is better because, and telling them to get going on some anime they want.

This is exactly the reason most of the AonE staff don’t come here and listen to your PMs and E-mails. It’s just funny to think that you all think your helping

19. LoveBelldandy said,
    on June 12th, 2006 at 12:50 pm

Belldandy for President!!!

20. Darth Arrow said,
    on June 13th, 2006 at 1:50 am

Is Naruto really stalled? 😯 In AniDB it says that AonE has stalled Naruto. There’s no sign of that either here nor on the blog at http://aonefans.blogspot.com/ . If they really have stalled it, I wonder if it’s till the fillers end… They are currently the only quality group doing Naruto so it would be bad if they stopped subbing it completely. 🙁 I don’t care so much about who subs the fillers, but if/when they finally end, I hope AonE will be subbing the series again.

Hopefully you’ve now recovered from the problems you had, at least AMG project seems to be in pretty good speed. 🙂 Good luck!

21. Azure said,
    on June 13th, 2006 at 4:21 pm

that’s sad to hear what happened, but i’m glad everything’s under control now 😀 pls keep it up, AONE, me and many of my friends r cheering u guys on!
    Pls take ur time… i understand the heck u guys must have been thru… Kyou Kara Maou can wait, we dont mind 😀

I hope everything turns back to normal soon! Cheering u guys on! ~AzureBluePhoenix~

22. fallen_angel said,
    on June 13th, 2006 at 10:17 pm

Helping? Tch. I could care less but maybe if they did listen to a fan once in a while it would help? I don’t know if oyu realise this but most fansub groups do these projects in their “free” time but you know what, they’re something to be said for dedication and commitment even if it’s “voluntary” service. Save your schoozing for the IRC channel.

on June 16th, 2006 at 4:18 am

@Darth Arrow:
    “stalled” is a designator used by several places to indicate that no substantial new progress has been made in a series, as far as public releases go. In other words, if there’s no release of Naruto for a month, or if there’s only one release every month or two, the project is considered stalled. This is not a designator that fansub groups usually apply to themselves, because they can see their own progress. Typically, a project that is “stalled” is actually in progress, just taking a very long time at some stage, often at several stages.

@fallen_angel: unfortunately, in this particular case, no amount of fan advice or intervention would have overcome the inherent flaws in the system in place. In this case, the problems were caused by a trusted user and poor security practices on the part of the project maintainers (who actually manage the ftp accounts). Basically how things are set up, there’s a shared ftp login for every project, and that shared login gets passed around to the project members. Usually, project staff are trustworthy and project members have local copies of files. However, that’s often not the case on very slow-moving projects, which may have a dozen or more episodes in various states of completion.

All of this isn’t normally a big problem, because when a staff member leaves you can just change the project account passwords and hand them back out to the people who’re still on the project. However, because of TheWGP’s “fuzzy departure” — that is, leaving without making a big scene about it immediately, nobody thought it was necessary to do this.

If everyone were aware of how things should normally go, they would have changed the passwords before doing things that generally make people with the old passwords upset… sort of like changing the locks when you break up with a former lover who had a key to your apartment. When you don’t take these precautions, they sort of bite you in the ass.

@everyone
    Regardless, the group is mostly functioning again, as demonstrated by various releases. It’s still a slow group with declining public interest, a fading reputation and apparent productivity problems… so of course it takes time to bounce back. I’m sure the staff appreciate your support, but this comment thread is really going nowhere… which is to be expected, considering it’s more than a month old. So I’m going to turn off comments on this post now… hopefully you can find something else to do, like download the latest releases 😛